• Rachelle Saint Louis

Commuter Chronicles #2

Back at it again for the week of August 27th to the 31st.

Monday just seems to be my day. Things go well on Mondays. I went to my classes, studied with my friends during my three hour break, and went to the gym at the end of the day. I missed the Zumba class and got a leg cramp on the stair climbers, but it was still wayyyy better than last Tuesday.

Tuesday, I took the Trirail. The train itself isn't the issue, it's the bus. I took the 12:33 train and arrived in Boca around twenty minutes later. The bus to the school took forty minutes to get to the station. I didn't get to the school until around 1:30. Thankfully, my first class is at two so it's really good that I left early.

This is pretty accurate.

I just barely made it to the 6:33 train to get home from Boca. The bus was scheduled to pick us up from the school at 6:10, but it didn't come untill ten minutes later. Traffic was light, so we made it to the Trirail right at 6:30. I had to run up the stairs to get to the Northbound side and I made it just in time for the train, which came two minutes after I climbed down the stairs.

I had parked my car at the station I'd gotten onto, so getting home was the easiest part of my day, by far.

I had thought parking for Wednesday would be easy, but I'd forgotten that I hadn't driven last Wednesday. That was the day I wasn't feeling well. I was in for quite a surprise this Wednesday.

My first class started at 11 so I left my house around 9:30. I got to the school around 10 and saw the sign saying the parking garage was full. I thought I'd try my luck with the parking lots in the back, near the College of Business.

After veering around for forty minutes with no such luck, I decided to try the parking garage. Someone had to be going home by then. I searched the parking garage for about fifteen minutes before I saw someone getting ready to leave. I waited patiently behind them as they backed out, and got the spot for myself. Then, I practically ran to class since it was already 11. I was five minutes late, which if you know me, is excruciating. I hate being late for classes.

After my SLS class, I went to the Breezeway to see if there was anything going on. They had tables set out about beating the "Freshman 15" and I decided to stay and listen. I got a free shirt out of it, even if it is three sizes too big. It's the perfect thing to sleep in.

My classes went well and I decided not to stay after too long, so I left around 4, thinking that traffic wouldn't be too bad. Turns out, no one told me that rush hour starts as early as 4 o'clock. It took me around 45 minutes to get home from I-95, and by the time I got home, I was exhausted.

On the bright side, I got to wear this great shirt that I bought from a black-owned business. The site was https://www.ahousecalledhue.store/ but it's currently under maintenance so you can find them here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AHouseCalledHue

Please focus on the dope shirt and not my awkward hand.

On Thursday, I got my student card for the Tri-rail so I have the discount now. The card costs 2$ and I brought my class schedule as proof that I'm a student. It took a little while, but after I got my card made, I went back home, had a quick snack, then went to my Tri-rail station. As usual, the train ride was fine, but the bus to the school didn't come until forty minutes later.

It was a hot, humid day and the storm clouds never left. I kept my jacket in my backpack, but it didn't ever actually rain, at least not while I was there. I got to the school thirty minutes before my class and decided to head over to the library. I did a little homework and saw one of the orientation leaders from the summer. She gave me some questionable advice about how to avoid buying textbooks.

After my math class, I was originally going to go back to the library to get some A/C during the hour before my next class. But, as I learned that day, plans change. As I was walking through the Breezeway, I saw my cousin Carl. He's a senior this year and he was with a few other people. I decided to sit and talk with them and it ended up being really fun. Way better than the lonely library, that's for sure. They gave me some advice about making some college friends and what organizations to join. Carl said he was going to the meeting for the National Coalition of Negro Women (NCNW) and I said I'd consider coming by.

My class ended at 5:20 and there was no way I'd make the 5:33 train, so I decided to try finding the NCNW meeting Carl was talking about. I was super active in extracurricular clubs in high school, and this seemed like something I could see myself being a part of. After walking in one big square, I eventually found the room. Carl agreed to give me a ride home after the meeting, which was great. I did not want to have to wait for that bus.

The meeting was great! We did an activity at the beginning where we talked to different people. I got a really good vibe from the e-board and NCNW seems to do a lot of fun things throughout the year. I definitely want to join.

Friday, I decided to take my car to school. I was not feeling the train vibes and I really wanted to check out the rock climbing. Rock Climbing is open on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 5-7. With those kinds of hours, I didn't want to risk taking the train.

I got to the school around eleven, even though my first class wasn't till 12:30. Parking is pretty easy on Fridays. I came earlier because they were having an event on the Housing Lawn to hype everyone up for football season. There was a ton of free stuff, which I made sure to take advantage of. They had pizza and drinks, it was fun. I just wish I could've gone with a few friends. That's something I definitely have to work on: Making college friends.

I love being surrounded by things I can't afford.

I ran into a friend from high school and we talked for a bit. She also took some great pictures of me being a dork in my college colors. I ended up seeing her again after class, when I went to the library. We talked a little about commuting and classes, then we went our separate ways to study and work on homework.

I went through with the rock climbing. It took me a little while to find the course, but someone gave me directions along the way. It's free for FAU students and I had a ton of fun there. It was a mix of newbies and somewhat professionals. A few people there had actually climbed a mountain. I didn't make it to the top, not even close, but I'll be going back again on Wednesday and Friday. I'll make it to the top one day.

Things I learned this week:

Monday: Being on time is important and so is self-care. Also, I'm out of shape.

Tuesday: Patience is a virtue and be prepared to run.

Wednesday: It's better to wait around the parking garage for someone to leave instead of looking around the whole school for one spot. Basically, concentrate on one area.

Thursday: Be open to new experiences and if you don't ask, you won't learn.

Friday: Branch out. Try things that seem scary. Live!

© 2018 by Life Update. Proudly Created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now